17.6.04

"Want me to punch-a-size your face, for free?"

Mindy and I went to Salt Lake with every intention of watching the free screening of Napolean Dynamite. We got hungry. Went to get food first. Came back to find that the line was absurdly long. We never got in. Fortunately I had a stunning Plan B. Ok it was just pretty good. Actually it was just another movie. But I was equally excited to see "The Chronicles of Ronald" — Super Size Me.

This is Morgan Spurlock's film about fast food. The man's "McDiet" consists of nothing but what is found on the McDonald's menu for an entire month. I thought it was brilliant and educational. In fact, I was so entertained that I didn't notice that I was being educated &mdash I love being tricked into learning. But aside from simply chronicling this man's month long assualt on his body (though which I think we all fantasized about as children) it also was about health and fast food in america.

There was a time I loved McDonald's. I think it's called "last week". As a kid, Happy Meals really made me Happy. We never got to go as much as the Hadleys, I remember thinking how lucky they were and how mean my mom and dad were. Of course after this film I think I need to submit both a written and televised apology to both my parents. But we would go there as a family after athletic events, Mom's night off from cooking, and it seemed like at least twice every vacation or road trip (I guess those are the same for families, huh?) and when I was in Hong Kong, McDonald's seemed like Ruth's Chris Steak House, in fact we even use to convert the value of American and Hong Kong money based on McDonalds.
"Dude, my dad sent me a $20!"
"Wait how much is that?"
"It's like...7 extra value meals!"

Is it McDonald's fault that american's are massively obese. Is it there fault that a girl at 19 years old, is 5 foot 7 and weighs 270 pounds? No (unless they're like the Colonel and put an addictive chemical in their food to make you crave it fortnightly). The only thing addictive about McDonald's is the convienence. We're lazy, as a nation we are quite lazy. Did you know there was a time before you could change channels from your couch with a remote; when if you wanted to go to the store or a friends house, you walked; when you wanted something to eat, you prepared the food, cooked it, ate it together with family or friends, and then washed the dishes? (This is a bit odd coming from a guy who hates making food so much he usually subsides on Otter Pops, Eggo Waffles, and Mountain Dew) I'm not sure I believe all of it either, but a lot of old people have been saying this.

We've become a pleasure oriented world. People treat work as an option only to be chosen if required to. And even then the job that gets done is procrastinated and ends up being "half-assed" (that is a direct quote from my mom regarding over 90% of the work I did around the house growing up...ok so maybe she was right...twice. But it DOES snow in Texas, mom.) Lying, dishonesty, taking the advantage of one because of his words, or even digging a pit for your neighbor, the world seems to find that any of this ok as long as they don't have to work or do something that isn't fun or doesn't provide "maximum enjoyment".

But hey, I guess its the American Dream, right? Making money and enjoy life without having to work. Yeah, the American Dream all crapped out on that mutant ooze from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II. Eating processed, fatty food prepared and cleaned-up for you, while you sit around avoiding work and getting paid for it. And on that note...

...I guess I should get back to work.

No comments: