12.11.04

"I'm sure he just got tied up in court again."

I was suppose to go hang out with a buddy last night. Nothing big, just someone I hadn't seen in a while...but it never happened. He just never showed up or called. The reason I bring this is not because I was really that upset about it specifically, but more aggrevated about it generally.
"I don't think I've ever been to an appointment in my life where I wanted the other guy to show up."
In Hong Kong we called it "getting fonged," fong being short for a chinese idiom that means a person didn't make it to their appointment because they fell out of the plane on the way. And as satisfying as the image might be, you still felt disheartened and a bit rejected. Additionally far more aggrevating than not having any appointments all day was having a day of appointments where no one shows up because they overslept, had to meet someone, or just plain forgot.
"Why did you ask me to come here?"
"Oh, I was going to drop that tree on you."
"That big one?"
"Yeah."
"It would've flattened me like a pancake."
And perhaps there was a time where I was the guy fonging others. One time it took three seperate attempts for me to meet this girl at the ATMs on campus to do the library tour for english class. But now, I get so impatient and almost offended when people don't show up or fulfill there commitments. Like a kid waiting for his mom to pick him up from swim practice on a hot summer day or after football practice on a rainy afternoon. Dozens of or cutting rebukes on their lack of character and relative resposibility. Remarks that never come to an audible fruition when contrasted to the real reasoning behind their absence or delay; something like projectile vomiting or the car blowing up in a fiery explosion. I mean, come on, it's hard to be mad at someone for that. And maybe my expectations for others shouldn't surpass my own abilities. It's not like people call me Mr. Dependability...
"Don't do this to me, I have to go play with my son. I'm Jose Canseco, I'm Jose Canseco!"
... just Mr. Awesome.

No comments: