14.1.05

"You're not gonna propose are you?"

Her name is Kiley Ann Thompson. I really haven't written much since we've been dating and I suppose that its mostly because I am so happy. I write to vent my thoughts and my frustrations. Sort of a one-sided counseling session where I talk things out to deal with them. But talking with Kiley sort of fulfills that need and my writing on the site dwindles. I suppose my angst was in fact my muse. But just because I'm not riddled inner turmoil or deep personal psychological analysis, doesn't mean I can't write about what's going on in my life. What what's bigger than finding the person you want to spend the rest of your life with. And as of yesterday...I'm engaged.
"I wasn't looking for a girl like that."
"Well, Columbus wasn't looking for America, my man, but that turned out to be pretty okay for everyone. Look at you, you're here."
Kiley and I had been talking about marriage for a while. Well it sort of began as joking, then postulating, slowly evolving into a more real and solidified form. We had met each others families and spent time with each over the Christmas holiday. We'd even managed to get into some decent fights to provide some context to our elation. Nothing worthy of a Real World or Jerry Springer episode, but enough to require some comprimise by each. (As a side note apparently girlfriends harbor deep-seeded resentment to ending a breakfast date early to leave early to go snowboarding with your buddies for the third time this week.) But we love each other and understand each other. I know why she acts the way she does and she knows that I think I understand the way she acts. I know when to shut up and just listen rather than give advice and she knows how But best of all we make each other laugh and we have fun together. She's my best friend
"I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride..."
"Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride."
Well since my asking her to marry me was not really that big of a surprise, I felt like when and how I asked should be. I got her the day off from work and when she arrived and was told she wasn't suppose to work, she was given the first of several clues that would lead her around Provo and included something for her at each locale. Now I'd give all the sorted details here, but each time I relate the details of the day's event I find that to most people it eems cute and nice, but to her and even to me, it was very special. It was about us. They say that you shouldn't share your most personal and special spiritual experiences, because the each time you share them, a little bit of the magic and the "special" is lost. And that's why I probably won't ever talk much about how I felt over the last week and especially yesterday. Maybe I don't think anyone would be able to relate to it, or maybe I'm afraid they will.
"What kind of convenience store do you run here?"
But I will say this. We met at the 7-Eleven on 500 North and University Avenue. Two times actually, first in mid July and then again in early November. And yesterday at the end of her adventure across Provo, I met Kiley at the 7-Eleven again. And this time I asked her to marry me. She said yes.
...
"Yeah, buddy, I am."
"Well...think about it."
I thought about it, prayed about it, and I have never been more sure about anything in my life. "She's my Rushmore."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, congrats. I'm happy for you.

-Mason